DIY Outdoor lighting to create a nighttime oasis
It’s been over a year since our new deck was added to the back of our house. It’s pure delight enjoying a cup of coffee in the soft morning sun while sitting on my deck. The afternoons are absolute bliss with soft breezes and being free from the sun which beats down on the front of the house. It’s hot here in Spring and Summer and the deck faces the perfect direction.
But in my quest to make our back deck the perfect spot to unwind and entertain, particularly now that the warmer weather is here, there still seems to be something missing and that is ambience at night. There’s only so much ambient light my few small candles can create and after seeing what can be done with gorgeous outdoor lighting after attending a party at my friend The Builder’s Wife’s house (see what they looked like here), I am inspired to transform my deck and backyard into a nighttime oasis.
But….I don’t have a huge budget. Actually, I don’t really have a budget at all meaning I have almost zero dollars.
The good news is there are DIY outdoor lights for your backyard that I feel are doable on a tiny budget. I’ve put together this list for you (and me as an ideas board).
- Start collecting your tins to make these gorgeous DIY outdoor lights by Grow Creative Blog.
- I absolutely love the idea of using ladders in the home for display and storage. I currently use one to hang my pots on but this hanging lantern idea by Country Living sure does bring character!
- The good old mason jar can be so practical and I just love this hanging candle mason jar from Tater Tots and Jello.
- This faux stained glass candle jar from Dream a Little Bigger is actually the perfect project to do with your kids.
- I actually never knew you could do this with sharpies, create the look of stained glass. Happy Hooligans shows you how to do it here.
Electric & Solar Outdoor Lighting
- If you’re like me you’ll have loads of spare cupcake papers in your cupboard. This idea from Family Chic is such a great way to turn a boring fairy light into something really pretty!
- Grab an old branch, a bucket and some cement to create this gorgeous string light feature from The Home Depot in your back yard.
- When it comes to outdoor lighting for your backyard, there’s nothing prettier than having basic fairy lights wrapped around tree trunks like they’ve done at Ruffled Blog for a wedding.
- I think this would have to be one of my favourite ideas. The folks at One Good Thing show you how to turn a plain mason jar into a solar powered mason jar luminary!
- The Mason Jar appears again because it’s so versatile and has the shabby chic look I love. All Things Heart and Home have created this stunning idea using fairy lights and mason jars.
So which one of these DIY outdoor lights can you see working well in your backyard?
PIN ME FOR LATER!
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- The Time My World Stopped But Hope Keeps Me Going - July 17, 2017
- Super Elliott Reviews The Nerf Nitro Longshot Smash - July 17, 2017
- 7 Enticing Ideas for a Parents Weekend Away - May 29, 2017