You’ve got your health. Check.
Your family is healthy. Check.
You’ve got a stable job. Check.
You’ve got a house. Check.
You’ve got a great family. Check.
But you’re still unhappy, you still feel like there’s something missing in your life.
Don’t worry, I feel the same every now and then and no matter how much I try to change my perspective, there’s always that little something that I can’t seem to figure out…..until I take the smallest amount of time to practice gratitude. This is usually the missing piece.
Back in 2003 Robert Emmons and Michael McCullough conducted and published research in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology on the effects of practicing gratitude on a regular basis. It’s amazing to read that amongst the hundreds of participants who were either asked to take a small amount of time out each day to record things they were grateful for or to record the frustrations they’d face or to simply record things that had affected them in their daily life, that those who were assigned the task of recording gratitude experienced fewer symptoms of illness, they exercised more, they were more optimistic and had better self-esteem, they felt healthier and slept better and longer.
So why wouldn’t you practice gratitude for a few moments a day?
Now you might be wondering how to practice gratitude. Here are a few tips, my favourites would have to be the Gratitude apps and taking photographs.
- Start a gratitude journal or list. Write down the things that you are thankful for each day. You can even try an app like Get Gratitude (iOS) or Bliss Gratitude Journal for Android.
- Practice gratitude during meditation
- Instagram the things you are thankful for or take photographs
- Turn a negative into a positive.
- Give someone a compliment
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend.” — Melody Beattie
How do you practice gratitude?
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- 30 Proven Ways to Beat Energy Sucking Overwhelm - July 23, 2017
- The Time My World Stopped But Hope Keeps Me Going - July 17, 2017
- Super Elliott Reviews The Nerf Nitro Longshot Smash - July 17, 2017