With our kitchen and dining area renovations almost complete (I will share photos when it’s done, I promise) I wanted to bring a bit of life and colour into the room. I thought of many different things and while I was cleaning up the mess, I came across a disused glass bowl. As soon as I looked at it I thought ‘DIY terrarium’!
After having a lovely chat with the horticulturalist lady at Bunnings (one of my favourite shops) I learnt all I needed to know about terrarium plants, terrarium supplies and putting one of these little micro-environments together and today I’m going to share how to make a terrarium with you! It’s super easy and the end result is really pretty. I could just imagine little fairy families living in the bowl!
Terrarium supplies you will need
- A clean open top glass bowl
- Horticultural charcoal
- Potting mix
- Small pebbles
- Terrarium plants – small plants that won’t grown too large and that prefer indoor environments. Ask for assistance at your nursery. I used some little ferns and a plant called a Fittonia (the stripey ones)
- Scoop or hand spade
- Water spray bottle
- Any little figurines that will make the terrarium their home.
How to make a terrarium
Place a 1-3cm layer of the pebbles at the bottom of the bowl. The pebbles help with drainage.
Place a layer of charcoal over the top of the pebbles, just enough to cover them. The charcoal will help keep the terrarium environment healthy.
Place a layer of potting mix over the charcoal. The potting mix should be deep enough to cover the plant roots.
Using your finger, poke holes into where you want to put the plants, put the plants in and surround with the potting mix and ensure they’re secure.
Get creative and make little pathways or add little figurines in the bowl to bring your terrarium world to life.
Spritz with the water bottle and place in the best location to appreciate. Don’t place it in direct sun, it should be placed in indirect light.
It’s link up time! Link up your favourite post from the last week and leave some comment love!
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- How to Ensure Your Dream Home Doesn’t Turn Into Your Worst Nightmare - March 28, 2017
- S’mores Tarts and Movies – The Perfect Match - March 22, 2017
- Eva Reads I’m Australian Too by Mem Fox - March 17, 2017