When I was asked if I’d be interested in previewing the new Oliving by Hans range which uses olive oil to replace some of the saturated animal fats usually present in small goods, I jumped at the opportunity.
It was a theme of ‘Country Meets City’ last week when I was invited to watch Brendan and Lydia from Stay At Home Mum cook for us using the Oliving by Hans products. But before the cooking began, we went to the fresh food markets in Brisbane City and sought out the ingredients for the delicious lunch that was to be made. I’d really only used small goods like ham, salami, turkey and sausage on platters or in sandwiches, so to learn about other ways to use them to feed a family was fantastic and inspiring.
Here’s the video so you can see what we got up to and it includes links to some of the recipes that I share below and more. (can you spot me in the video?)
So why is Oliving by Hans such a great fit for my family? It’s because they have very cleverly replaced some of the saturated fat with olive oil. After tasting various products from the Oliving by Hans range, I can definitely say that even though some of the saturated fat animal fat has been removed, it definitely doesn’t lose its taste or texture, in fact everything tasted great.
The goal with the Oliving by Hans range is that they use high quality meat that is lower in fat and directly incorporate top quality olive oil in its natural form, thus adding taste! Oliving by Hans was actually inspired by the Mediterranean diet where olive oil is consumed in high quantities and in places like Greece, a country which actually has the lowest rate of coronary heart disease in the world. Think of olive oil as a natural fruit juice and a natural source of ‘good’ fat.
I could go on about how much I love the Oliving by Hans range and the idea behind it, but I wanted to share a recipe that I put together using the diverse Oliving by Hans Cheese Kransky. This macaroni cheese bake would have to be the ultimate in comfort food and adding the kransky to it just gave it something a little extra. And don’t forget, you can have it with a green salad to satisfy the food groups!
I had to tell Mr. G to slow down a little when he was eating this (he said it tasted so good) and it was a winner with my fussy eater, Elliott (which determines most of the things I cook these days).
Macaroni Cheese Bake with Kransky Sausage
- 250g macaroni pasta
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tspn minced garlic
- 2 Oliving by Hans Cheese Kransky Sausages, sliced
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese + extra for the top
- Preheat your oven to 180°C.
- Cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the packet.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and then add the onion, garlic and kransky and saute for about 4 minutes until onion is translucent and a golden colour, being careful not to burn.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion and kransky mix and stir in well. Cook for a couple of minutes and then gradually add the hot milk. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes. You will notice the mixture will start to get thicker. Add the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the cooked macaroni into the saucepan and mix together. Then transfer to an oven safe baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with a side of green salad.
Where to buy Oliving by Hans?
- Woolworths, Coles, IGA and independent stores.
- The product is already on the shelf in Coles and will start to be stocked in Woolworths towards the end of the month.
To find out more about the Oliving by Hans range, visit their website by clicking here
I bet you want to go out and try this awesome new range, right? Well the folks at Oliving by Hans have been so great to give me 4 x $30 Coles vouchers to give away to four lucky winners! All you have to do is follow the instructions in the rafflecopter and leave a comment on the blog answering the question. Simple!
And the winners are….
Your coles voucher will be sent to the email which you registered on your rafflecopter entry.
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- Why I Put My Baby in Child Care - April 24, 2017
- Eva Reads I Love You by Xiao Mao - April 22, 2017
- The Apocalypse Is Here And It’s One Of My Pet Hates - April 21, 2017