This post is in collaboration with Gaviscon
I’m going to put it right out there and say that I did not enjoy being pregnant but, in saying that, I also didn’t not enjoy it. Does that make sense? To put it plainly, I hear women say how much they loved being pregnant, well…I didn’t love it but I didn’t hate it, either.
Pregnancy to me was taking it day by day. No book was going to tell me exactly what I was going to experience because I was not the same as everyone else, everyone’s pregnancy experience is so different. What I do remember is marvelling at the little person that was growing inside me, the person I could feel kicking, moving, fluttering. It seriously made me smile on the inside every day, even when my then employment stressed me to no end.
Looking back in hindsight is something I don’t do often because I’m a big believer in looking ahead, the past is something we can never change and there’s no point wasting our time pondering on it. However, in this post I want to share the 10 things I wish I knew before having a baby because…well, it’s just me reminiscing and an opportunity to share things that first time mums may benefit from.
So here they are.
- I wish I knew about how important it is to look after your pelvic floor. Let’s just say that running and jumping on the trampoline has never been the same.
- I wish I knew that my baby would come early so I could have finished work earlier and prepared more meals.
- I wish I knew that when everyone said ‘now that you’re on maternity leave, relax as much as possible’ they were speaking the truth and there was a reason they were giving me that advice!
- I wish I knew that severe indigestion in pregnancy was a thing and that it would most certainly sneak up on me one day during my third trimester with absolutely no Gaviscon in sight!
- I wish I knew that there was such thing as severe back pain during pregnancy and that I had strengthened my lower back muscles so I didn’t have to wear a brace.
- I wish I knew that having a summer baby would mean my feet and legs would resemble that of an elephant.
- I wish I knew that breastfeeding wasn’t as easy as putting a baby on the boob. It is SO much harder than that.
- I wish I knew that having a really good quality breast pump was really important and that manually pumping would eventually give me RSI in my hand to the point that I can no longer open things properly.
- I wish I knew that I was going to suffer post natal depression for a long time so that I could have been better prepared and not thing that it was something that would never happen to me.
- I wish I knew that once my baby was here, it was normal not to feel a gushing feeling of love and that for some (like me) it would take time and the love I would eventually feel for my son was unlike any love I’d ever felt before.
What are some things you wish you knew before pregnancy?
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- 10 Easy Homemade Baby Food Recipes - June 15, 2018
- How To Make Monster Truck Cookies - June 10, 2018
- How To Overcome The Challenges Of Being A Work At Home Mum - June 6, 2018