Before I had Elliott I was overwhelmed with the generosity of my friends and family and the number of lotions and potions they bought me as gifts. I had enough stocked up to last me a good couple of years. But when it came time to purchase baby products like baby wipes, shampoo, nappy rash cream and baby lotions, it suddenly became apparent how expensive the natural baby products were and also made me take a really good look at some of the chemical ingredients (which I couldn’t pronounce) that were in many of the well-known brands.
One nasty ingredient to look out for is Methylisothiazolinone (MI). It is a preservative that is known to cause contact dermatitis and many people can build a sensitivity to any product with this ingredient in it. I don’t mean to scare you but I can personally vouch for this ingredient being a nasty one. I once worked in Occupational Health & Safety for a company that manufactured and used particular chemicals and guess what? A form of this ingredient was used in the chemicals. As the OHS Rep, I dealt with a number of my guys who developed this serious contact dermatitis and it wasn’t pretty. Scary, isn’t it? For more information about it, check out the Skin & Cancer Foundation’s article.
I’ve recently noticed that with the cold weather, Elliott has had very dry skin and I’ve been very particular about what I use on his skin. The problem is that the natural products I like to use are rather expensive! I’m pretty sure there are heaps of mums like me in this situation, especially mums with babies and so I decided to put a post together with some DIY recipes for natural wipes, lotions, nappy rash creams and shampoos.
Homemade natural baby wipes
- Coconut oil would have to be one of my favourite natural products and is used in these natural coconut oil baby wipes .
- If you’d prefer to use cloth wipes, try these homemade natural baby cloth wipes .
- These Homemade natural baby wipes have heaps of yummy ingredients!
Homemade natural baby shampoo & wash
- Coconut milk, raw honey, essential oils…this DIY pH balanced shampoo sounds good enough to eat!
- This DIY Non-toxic baby shampoo uses Dr. Bronners soap as one of the ingredients. I have used it before, it’s wonderful. You can purchase Dr. Bronners soap at many health food stores and although it may be expensive, you only need a little bit each time.
- The essential oils in this Homemade organic baby shampoo & wash will make it smell divine!
Homemade natural nappy rash cream
- A variation of the two recipes below, this 10-Minute Natural Diaper Rash Cream also includes cocoa butter!
- A super easy Diaper rash cream with some yummy ingredients.
- Beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil…this DIY natural baby bottom balm is a variation of number two but sure to soothe
Homemade natural baby lotion
- Coconut oil and aloe vera gel are sure to make this Homemade baby lotion super moisturising!
- This DIY homemade baby lotion also includes almond oil and Vitamin E oil.
- This is my version of a DIY homemade whipped coconut moisturiser. It’s really very simple, coconut oil and your favourite essential oil
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- 10 Easy Homemade Baby Food Recipes - June 15, 2018
- How To Make Monster Truck Cookies - June 10, 2018
- How To Overcome The Challenges Of Being A Work At Home Mum - June 6, 2018