Like many kids, Elliott pretty much needs to be worn out in the morning to keep him interested and to ensure he sleeps well, otherwise he turns into a bored, frustrated and cranky toddler. Coming up with things to do at home isn’t easy either, to keep him interested I’d have to come up with a never ending list of craft and play ideas, which take time to prepare and cost money. On top of that, I think we’d both go mad if we stayed at home too much which is why it’s great to get out of the house most mornings.
However, getting out of the house to do something fun often means spending money which can become a bit of an issue when you’re going out most mornings. There are times when the day comes and I simply just can’t get my brain to come up with new, fun and free toddler activities (or cheap onese) so I decided to come up with a list for myself and I thought I’d share it with you too. Gee, I’ve discovered some nifty things. And here’s my list of 22 Free (or very cheap) Activities for Toddlers:
- Join story time at your local library
- Visit a museum
- Try out a kids class like gym or music, they usually let you try the first class for free.
- Go to a water park – playgrounds with water activity.
- Visit the park and play on the playgrounds.
- Go to a Botanical Garden and explore through the windy paths.
- Check out current events and activities at your local shopping center.
- Visit an Art Gallery, there are often kids activities on there.
- Attend a Playgroup
- Explore nature reserves, you might even have a council run nature centre.
- Visit a Farm and see and feed the animals.
- Join your local Community Garden Playgroup where your child can enjoy a little gardening activity and discover the wonders permaculture.
- Go to the beach
- Visit the local pool for a small admission price.
- Go on a train ride
- Visit the local nursery to look at and smell all the different flowers.
- Go strawberry or berry picking! Google your closest farm (be sure to check picking season).
- Go on a scavenger hunt – this will get you out walking as well as it being a fun learning experience. Check out these 32 Fun Scavenger Hunt Ideas for Kids by Hands On As We Grow.
- Go fishing! I’ve loved fishing since I was a kid. Apart from buying the fishing rod (kids ones are really cheap at places like KMart or Big W) there are heaps of places you could fish. Check your local area online.
- Feed the ducks! Elliott loves feeding (and chasing ducks). Find a lake and I’m sure they’ll be there!
- Visit your local toy library, trial a toy and borrow one for small amount of money.
- Visit an indoor playcentre. Yes they cost money, but if you check out their website, sign up to their newsletter or follow them on Facebook, I’m sure you’ll be able to get their specials.
Do you have any free (or very cheap) activities that you enjoy doing with your toddler away from home that isn’t on my list?
Now it’s time for you to link up your blog with Mummy Mondays! Please read the linky guidelines here. One post per blog please. There is no particular theme, simply link up a post from the last week or a new post at the link below the featured posts. I’ll even pick two of my favourite posts to feature in Mummy Mondays next week! If your blog is featured, please feel free to take a ‘featured’ button from my right sidebar. Please don’t forget to take the time to comment on at least two other posts!
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter to stay updated with blog posts, future linky parties, great pins, giveaways and more.
Mummy Mondays Featured Posts
|Let’s Start a Fad by Fit Mother Hubbard|
Link up your posts here. Remember ONE POST per blogger please.
Eva is the Editor and Owner of The Multitasking Woman. She always has her fingers in many different pies but wouldn't have it any other way. Eva is a freelance writer, a social media manager, a Mum to her six-year-old son, one-year-old daughter, six chickens and Benny the dog and wife to Mr G. They all live happily in their little worker's cottage in Ipswich, Queensland, Australia.
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- How To Commit To Your Fitness Goals And Feel A Million Bucks - March 22, 2018
- How To Find Your Perfect Side Hustle - March 12, 2018
- The Infobesity Epidemic: How to Avoid Information Overload - March 12, 2018