At 35 years old I still get asked for my ID and I’m pretty chuffed about that. When I had Miss M a year ago, a friend of mine joked that I looked like I’d come from the set of ‘Teenage Mom’. Pretty chuffed at that too. I personally don’t think I look that young but if other people think so, I have no issues accepting that.
One of the other things people mention is that I, “must have good genes.” Yes, my mum looks amazing for her age but to be honest, I do put a lot of it down to my beauty routine. I’m not a huge follower of routine, I am driven by the spur of the moment things. But, when it comes to looking after my face, that’s something I’ve always had a routine for and I stick to it.
It’s not a fancy routine, I don’t use hundred dollar products, I don’t get injections, I’m just consistent. I’ve gotten to know my skin type and I give it what it needs.
Before kids and now
Before having kids, I had your typical combination skin and had a very oily t-section. Now it’s the complete opposite and my skin is on the dry side. My face used to get to a point when it felt rough to touch but now it’s amazingly smooth and I am happy to say, I have very few wrinkles (touch wood).
So how do I look after my skin?
Here’s what my routine looks like.
- I don’t have the time to wash my face in the morning, I just spritz it with Goodness Be Cool Mist Toner.
- I apply O Cosmetics Mineral Pro 30+ Tinted Moisturiser
- In the evening I cleanse with Organic Spa Cream Cleanser
- I spritz with the Goodness Be Cool Mist Toner again
- I apply ‘Sleep on It’ Face Oil from SKIN BOSS which has my skin looking and feeling absolutely amazing in the morning!
- I apply Goodness Every Evening Cream on the top of my face oil in Winter. In the warmer months, I use the Organic Spa Intense Moisture because it’s not as heavy.
- I apply Organic Spa eye balm (when I remember)
- I use Organic Spa Face Exfoliant
- I use the Organic Spa Cream Mask. I actually leave this one on and don’t rinse it off, as advised by my beautician. It’s a really good weekly moisture boost.
I take a visit to the day spa and get a facial and microdermabrasion. It might seem like a luxury but microdermabrasion has made some amazing improvements to my skin. It is smoother and less rough, my pores are smaller and my skin tone is more even and less blotchy.
What is microdermabrasion? Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure using tiny crystals on the end of a tip. These exfoliate and remove the superficial layer of dry, dead skin cells. It doesn’t hurt, it just feels like a rough sensation with a suction tube that sucks up the exfoliated skin as it goes.
It’s not a complicated routine, I don’t sit around with cucumbers on my eyes all day nor do I spend exorbitant amounts on beauty products. The ones I used are very fairly priced. I think that in addition to keeping up your water intake, taking a few extra minutes each day to look after your skin can make a huge difference, and it’s never too late to start!