Whenever we ventured out in Mr G’s car that had a different car seat to my car, it was always the same. Miss M would be beside herself once we put her in her car seat.
Any mother can pick up on when something isn’t quite right with their child when a cry is more than just a tired or hungry cry. With Miss M, whenever we put her into this particular car set she cried like she was uncomfortable and frustrated.
But alas, we continued driving because Mr G assured me nothing was wrong and that it was likely she was just tired or hungry. He reminded me that Master E used the seat with no problems.
I was still not convinced. I should have listened to my ‘mummy intuition.’
But the arrival of a Maxi-Cosi Moda car seat with Air Protect™Technology which we’ve been so lucky to try would soon give us an answer as to whether it was the car seat or something else.
Maxi-Cosi Moda Unpacked
Maxi-Cosi Moda straps checked for correct length. Check.
Baby is happy. Check.
Maxi-Cosi Moda installed into the car.
Baby securely fastened into Maxi-Cosi Moda with favourite toys. Check.
Happy Baby. Big fat check!
When Miss M is in the Maxi-Cosi Moda, there is plenty of clearance between her chin and chest, she can obviously breathe better and is generally more comfortable. The cries and screams have almost disappeared when we go driving.
But these aren’t the only obvious differences we noticed between the two seats. The first one felt very hard on the edges with very little padding. The Maxi-Cosi Moda, on the other hand, is far superior with GCELL Side Impact Protection Technology and Air Protect™ Side Impact Protection Technology.
What is Air Protect™ Technology?
When I attended the Kids Business Communications brunch in Melbourne, I spoke to the guys from Air Protect about this technology as I really didn’t know what it was but am so glad that we have it now. Air Protect™ is an additional layer of defence in a side impact crash. Notice the two bubble looking sections at the top of the seat? They are filled with air. This air absorbs the energy of the crash and transfers the energy away from the child’s head. The way Air Protect™ does this is by extending ride-down time, this is the amount of time it takes to slow a child’s movement in a crash. By extending this ride-down time, Air Protect™ creates a slower, softer landing. Air Protect™ acts like a soft cushion.
So why the focus on a side impact crash?
Another thing I learnt when being introduced to the Air Protect™ Technology is that a side impact crash is more dangerous for children. For some reason I always imagined it being them being flung forward. In a side impact crash, a child’s head and chest is extremely vulnerable to injury.
In a side impact crash, there is little space between the car door and the passenger. There are crumple zones at the front and back of cars but there is hardly any space for “crumple zones” on the side of a car, therefore, the impact can be more severe. Side impact crashes count towards a third of all child crash fatalities, almost all due to a head injury.
Other things we love about the Maxi-Cosi Moda
We’ve been through a few car seats and this one has definitely had us ticking the most boxes. In addition to the GCELL Side Impact Protection Technology, Air Protect™ Technology and the fact that Miss M is 100% happier during car trips, the Maxi-Cosi Moda:
- Was relatively easy to install into the car, there were a few minor hiccups but I’m thinking perhaps the *ahem, installer was to blame.
- The car seat has wicking fabric to help keep baby cool, dry and comfortable, particularly important in our hot Queensland weather.
- Can be rearward facing for up to 30 months
- Has helpful harness guides so we don’t have to spend ages trying to untwist straps! ( I think I’ve become sunburnt while leaning through the door trying to untwist straps!)
- A Quickfit harness system which allows us to adjust the height of the harness without removing the seat.
- 5 adjustable headrest positions
- Even more safety features with a 6-point safety harness and top tether strap
- 3-adjustable recline base positions to suit a larger variety of vehicles
- A car seat protector mat, perfect to keep my husband’s lovely newish car nice and new!
- Lastly, this seat is not only nice and comfy and perfect from newborn right up to approximately 4 years of age, it’s a really great looking car seat.
For more information on the Air Protect™ Technology found in the Maxi-Cosi Moda visit http://airprotect.com.au/
To find out where you can buy the Maxi-Cosi Moda and other brands exclusively fitted with Air Protect™Technology visit http://airprotect.com.au/home/where-to-buy/
Disclosure: I was sent a Maxi-Cosi Moda car seat in return for an honest review. All opinions are my own. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- How To Commit To Your Fitness Goals And Feel A Million Bucks - March 22, 2018
- How To Find Your Perfect Side Hustle - March 12, 2018
- The Infobesity Epidemic: How to Avoid Information Overload - March 12, 2018