Why prioritising time is essential
It can be easy for Mr G to forget the limited amount of time he has available to spend with Master E. As much as I’m sure he’d love to come home and chill out (I would after a big day at work), prioritising time with Master E is essential. Until Elliott was 18 months old, Mummy was
Until Master E was 18 months old, Mummy was the flavour of the month, but since then, Daddy has been the shining star. Allowing time for them both to connect has been especially important, it’s quite lovely to watch.
In Steve Biddulph’s Book ‘Raising Boys’, he emphasises the importance of fathers making time with their children and that work should not take over otherwise leading to self-esteem issues in daughters and problems in life for sons. This is why the time Mr G spends with Master E is more important now than ever. Starting early is the key.
I sat down with Mr. G the other day and asked him what things he enjoys doing with Elliott in order to connect during the precious moments he has. This is what he told me (while in some instances I stand gritting my teeth when watching the somewhat ‘rough’ play that Elliott seems to enjoy):
- Wrestling, tickling and laughing
- Playing cars
- Making obstacle courses for cars out of cardboard boxes
- Playing Soccer on Saturday Mornings
- Going to the park (without Mummy)
- Building things around the house e.g. furniture from IKEA (although frustrating at times with Master E running away with parts, he loves the intricacies of connecting things together, putting in screws. Involving Master E in this shows him the process of how things are made)
- Having turns on Daddy’s lap while he drives the car into the garage
- Helping with the mowing
After talking with Mr G about this, it makes me realise the huge responsibilities of working Mums and Dads. I really do admire parents who have to balance work and home life with that of their children.
What type of activities does your partner/husband do to connect with your children?
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- 9 Low Carb Snacks That’ll Have You Wanting More (and you can, guilt free) - January 18, 2018
- You say you’re too busy, but are you really? - January 17, 2018
- Indoor Play Centres in Brisbane With Free WiFi: Work While The Kids Play - January 16, 2018