This post is sponsored by Gumtree
Upcycled furniture ideas using free furniture (and where to find it!)
We all love Freebies, don’t we? There’s nothing more satisfying than getting something useful for free and then the sense of satisfaction you get when you can turn that something into a fabulous piece.
Like my bed here for example, a boring old timber bed that, with a lick of chalk paint, has gone from dull and so 90’s to shabby chic.
You know the saying, ‘somebody’s trash is someone else’s treasure’? Well it truly can be, you just have to look in the right place and you can pick up a beauty…for free. This is where Gumtree Freebies and Pinterest are a match made in heaven. Check out some of these DIY ideas that I’ve put together.
Take this set of vintage drawers, currently listed on Gumtree Freebies. A bit old school, right?
But look at what you could do to it! Turn it into this gorgeous dresser using just a bit of paint and paper. I can picture this in a little girl’s room or even a baby nursery.
And what about this TV Cabinet currently listed on Gumtree Freebies? I know what I’d do with it straight away…
Turn it into a kid’s kitchen! I had a look online and a kid’s kitchen similar to the one below sells for well over $200, but you could make one for almost nothing. With a little bit of DIY handyman work, a coat of paint and some little accessories, you’re kids will be making you dinner!
Do you like knick knacks and books like me but you have no where to put them? This bookcase is currently listed on Gumtree Freebies, a bit boring and in need of some TLC.
But with a bit of a wipe down and creative flair, you can turn it into something like this! ooh la la
And lastly, because I’m on a roll and I’m getting real inspiration here, if you’re in a house like ours which has no built in wardrobes, simply take a TV cabinet like this one currently for sale on Gumtree Freebies and…..
turn it into a gorgeous kids wardrobe/shelving unit! Now I’m no handyman but even I could do this if you gave me a screwdriver, some sanding paper and chalk paint (chalk paint is awesome because you don’t have to do a lot of the prep work you do with other paints).
Isn’t it amazing what you can do on the cheap when you put your mind to it?
Not only does upcycling free furniture save you money, it could potentially make you money too. Upcycling is essentially reusing old furniture in a way to create a product of higher quality (or even value) than the original. Now there’s an idea to make a little bit of extra pocket money!
Oh, and I should add that upcycling furniture is great for the environment too; it’s a form of recycling and reduces the amount of waste going to landfill.
So, what are you waiting for? Jump onto Gumtree, find some freebies and let the ‘upcycling’ begin!
Share your upcycled furniture idea in the comments for the chance to win a $50 Wish Gift Card to put towards your next DIY project.
Terms & Conditions
1. This competition is open from now until Tuesday 5th August 2014 5pm Australian EST
2. The winner will be announced on this blog, Facebook and Twitter. Please supply a valid email address. You will have 3 days to respond, otherwise the prize will be reassessed.
3. The prize is not transferable, changeable or redeemable for cash
4. The prize will not be replaced in the event that it is stolen, lost or damaged in transit
5. The Multitasking Mummy accepts no responsibility for prizes sent by iProspect.
6. This competition is open to Australian Residents only.
7. This giveaway is not associated, sponsored, endorsed or administered by Facebook.
8. This giveaway is based on a game of skill and the most creative response will be selected as the winner.
You can see my disclosure policy here.
Congratulations to Peachy Keen Mumma for winning the $50 voucher and upcycling a piece not once, but twice! Love the thought and creativity that went into your final piece!
Eva is the Editor and Owner of The Multitasking Woman. She always has her fingers in many different pies but wouldn't have it any other way. Eva is a freelance writer, a social media manager, a Mum to her six-year-old son, one-year-old daughter, six chickens and Benny the dog and wife to Mr G. They all live happily in their little worker's cottage in Ipswich, Queensland, Australia.
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- Fun Ways To De-Stress When You Can’t Leave Your Desk - February 13, 2018
- 8 Practical Minimalist Living Tips For Calm and Happiness - February 12, 2018
- How To Save The Earth With A Rubbish Free Lunch Box - February 9, 2018