Driving along in my car on Wednesday on my usual run from daycare the news bulletin played and one of the headlines was ‘scientist may have found an alternative to pap smears’. In that brief moment that I heard that news, the past 13 or so years of experiencing Pap smears crossed my mind in a big giant flash. My hands gripped the wheel a little tighter.
I was absolutely mortified by my very first pap smear test. I went to see the doctor who I’d been seeing since I was a baby but thinking about how close he was going to get to my ‘hoo-ha’ and what he was going to do made me sick.
And when I saw this thing, I almost wanted to vomit!
Let’s just say he was not the most gentle at performing pap smears nor the most organised and literally left things ‘hanging in there’ because he forgot a piece of the speculum!
I’ve had my fair share of papsmears over the years, possibly a few more than some people because back in 2007-2008 I had CIN3 (pre-cancerous) cells and have undergone a few biopsies and the letz-loop procedure.
I think since having a baby, pap smears are much more bearable and I’ve developed a way of thinking which puts a positive spin on the whole experience. BUT, I will never forget the time (pre-kids) when I had a biopsy and the nurse invited all the students in to have a good look. She did ask me first and in my mind I was just thinking ‘ah, fuck it, why not have more people look..they need to learn’.
But….even though I’m much more comfortable with it I would still LOVE to just pee in a damn jar. I quite frankly a little bit over every Tom, Dick and Harry having close looks at my lady bits thank you very much.
But, the actual fact is that the urine test is not here yet and we still have to have those horrid duck bill looking speculums inserted, only for 30 seconds, but for what feels like 30 minutes.
News.com.au reported that women aged 20-69 years are urged to have a Pap smear test every two years but just 57 per cent of Australian women meet these guidelines. Are you in the other 43 per cent? Keep your pap smear up to date, it’s 30 seconds that could save your life!
Today I’m linking up for Thankful Thursday with my friend Sarah from Creating Contentment
Latest posts by Eva Lewis (The Multitasking Woman) (see all)
- My Guide To The Best Stretch Mark Creams Available In Australia - August 6, 2018
- I Have High-Functioning Bipolar. This Is What It Looks Like. - August 2, 2018
- 6 Of The Best Places To Work In Australia – Companies That Have Women’s Backs - July 30, 2018